IEC Marine Energy Standards
Dr. Sean Barrett is a member of the NSAI ETC Technical Committee 18/IEC Technical Committee 114 responsible for shaping the development of a set of coherent international standards for the marine energy industry. These standards will form a basis for Third Party Verification and Certification. Most of these standards are currently at the Technical Specification stage with International Standards expected by 2020.
The Standards produced by TC114 will address:
- System definition,
- performance measurement of wave, tidal and water current energy converters,
- resource assessment requirements, design and survivability,
- safety requirements,
- power quality,
- manufacturing and factory testing,
- evaluation and mitigation of environmental impacts.
BME Consulting have a special interest in the following Technical Standard publications:
- Marine energy – Wave, tidal and other water current converters – Part 100: Electricity producing wave energy converters – Power performance assessment. IEC TS 62600-100:2012 Edition 1.0 (2012-08-30).
- Marine energy – Wave, tidal and other water current converters – Part 101: Wave energy resource
assessment and characterization. IEC TS 62600-101:2015 Edition 1.0 (2015-06-05).